Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let's Make. . . Deep Fried Turkey

In any social situation where someone asks you what you do and you answer "chef", you somehow automatically become the expert on all things culinary. ..so I have been asked countless times how I cook my Thanksgiving turkey. When I answer that I deep fry it, I am invariably asked what kind of "rig" I have. I have no rig other than a fabulous and well loved O'Keeffe & Merritt stove that is the best stove I have ever cooked on. This is my fifth year deep frying a turkey atop my trusty stove. I have been told that I am foolish to do it in my home but I really do believe that all it takes is common sense and a healthy respect for hot oil. Here is how I do it.

15-16 lb. brined turkey
35 lb. box of Peanut Oil
60 qt. stock pot
heat/liquid resistant gloves
Thermometer


The Victim. It has been brined for 12 hours, removed from the brine and refrigerated, uncovered, for another 12 hours. Remove the turkey from the refrigerator two hours before it's hot oil bath.

The "Rig" - sixty quart stockpot atop trusty O'Keeffe & Merritt Stove.


Add one 35 lb. container of peanut oil to the pot. The pot will be 1/3 full. . it is crucial that the pot is not overfilled. Set heat to high. Keep in mind it can take up to an hour for the oil to reach the correct temperature.



Once the oil is heated to at least 340F (maximum 350F) it is ready for the turkey.



Don the gloves!

Grabbing the two legs, VERY gently lower the turkey into the oil. It will bubble up slightly. The general rule is 3 minutes per pound plus 10 extra minutes. This 16 lb turkey took 58 minutes.

This is about half way through the cooking process - notice the slight color change.

As the turkey cooks, it will come up to the surface. Notice how the legs are jutting out of the oil. Perfect to grab and pull out of the oil. It is a good idea to have an assistant help you pull the turkey out of the oil - this year I did it alone and experienced my first and only error - the leg and thigh portion separated from the breast and wing portion. I felt it start to happen so I let it. I let the breast go gently back into the oil. I pulled the leg/thigh portion with the gloves and removed the breast/wing portion with tongs. Have ready a wadded up paper bag to rest and drain the turkey on.

Let the turkey rest for half an hour before you carve. We jumped the gun an started carving before I could take a picture of the whole turkey - no do-overs here! The turkey will be juicy, skin crisp and completely non-greasy. Easy and delicious!

2 comments:

eM said...

yes, it was definitely the best turkey I ever had - and I don't even much like turkey unless it's in a sandwich - I am sorry I didn't get to sandwich that mofo!!

SparkleSquash said...

nice pot! and no rig! it brings a tear to my eye.