Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Let's make . . . a dinner out of leftovers

So yesterday was my mom's meatloaf birthday dinner. My favorite thing about having meatloaf for dinner is the leftovers. I love nothing better than a meatloaf sandwich. Cold meatloaf, thinly sliced on homemade white bread with homemade mayonnaise. Yes, please!

Here is a recipe for my favorite simple loaf of white bread. It's as quick and easy as a yeasted bread can be - great flavor, great crumb and very easy to make - I use rapid rise yeast with good results.

I also am including my favorite mayo recipe. . . because let's face it, when you have three ingredients (if you don't count the slices of dead ripe brandywine tomato I added) in a sandwich, they should each be their own little islands of deliciousness so when put together, the sum of parts is incredibly delicious!

Good Old Fashioned White Bread
(I think I got this from Fleischmann's years ago)

6 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3 T. sugar
2 pkgs RAPID RISE yeast
2 t. salt
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
2 T. butter

Combine 2 cups of flour with the sugar, yeast, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Melt the butter, add the milk and water and heat to very warm. Add to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth using the paddle attachment. Add 1 cup of flour and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Change to the dough hook and add enough of the remaining flour to form a soft dough that grips the dough hook and cleans the sides of the bowl. At this point you can either knead the dough by hand for about ten minutes or knead it on the mixer - I've done both with identical results. When the dough is smooth and elastic, cover it and let it rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough in half and press it into a rectangle and shape the dough by rolling it tightly like a jelly roll. Pinch the edges together and place the dough into lightly greased 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 loaf pans. Proof until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 400F for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove to cool on wire racks.

Julia Child's Food Processor Mayonnaise

We learned how to make mayonnaise by hand in school. . as I beat the ingredients together to form the emulsion, all I could think about was this recipe and how I wish I could just make this. This is the first mayonnaise I have ever made and it's still my favorite!

1 egg
2 egg yolks
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/2 t. white wine vinegar
1 cup excellent olive oil
1 cup vegetable oil
freshly ground white pepper

Using a steel blade, process the egg and yolks for 1 minute. With the machine running, add the mustard, salt, lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Combine the two oils in a measuring up. If you have a Cuisinart, there is a little hole in the white sleeve that fits into the feeding tube - this hole is there to use when making emulsified sauces. Pour half the oil into the white sleeve and continue processing until the mixture has emulsified. If it is too thick at this point, add a little more vinegar, then continue with the rest of the oil. Season as needed with more salt, pepper and/or lemon juice or vinegar.

I have no pictures for this post as by the time I baked bread and made mayonnaise I was starving. Suffice to say that these sandwiches are what heaven is made of!

No comments: