Saturday, August 1, 2009

Let's make. . . Dinner!

Inspired by this article for the New York Time by Michael Pollan, I decided to dip my toes back into the blogging waters by writing about what I cook/eat for dinner for one month.



Sure, the article is long but it does touch on some important topics - why are we always in such a rush to get things on the table? Why is it so valued to do things the fastest or more importantly, with the least effort? This is food. Fuel for our bodies. Why shouldn't we take the time to prepare something for ourselves that takes time or that has the best ingredients possible? I feel like it's time to put real love back into our food. Mr. Pollan mentions Julia Child in the beginning of the article. . .she is the reason I cook - she is the first person to ever show me that cooking can be a joy instead of a chore. Both my grandmothers were excellent cooks in their own way but they did it because they HAD to. My mother cooked because she HAD to and took no joy in putting food on our plates. Julia was the first person I ever saw who actually smiled as she cooked. .. and I realized that cooking and sharing food could feed not only your belly, but your soul.

That being said, my month of dinners started off with me going out. Tonight I ended up going to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant - Bodega Bistro. I had their superlative Papaya Salad, Pot Stickers (yes, it's a Vietnamese restaurant but OH MAN can they make a mean Pot Sticker!) and Shaking Beef. Just the right thing to start off my weekend.

Bodega Bistro
607 Larkin St
San Francisco, CA 94109
(415) 921-1218
www.bodegabistrosf.com

No comments: