Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Let's Make . . . my favorite simple pasta

When I say this is my favorite simple pasta dinner, I have to add that modifier because my favorite pasta is Spaghetti Bolognese which is not, in any way, a simple pasta. This one though. . this is a taste of summer. .. fresh basil, lemons, good fruity olive oil. It can be made in 12 minutes. . .it'd be shorter is the pasta cooked faster!

Five Simple Ingredients!


Spaghetti al Limone

8 oz. spaghetti (I like to use Rustichella)
juice of 2 lemons (half regular/half meyer if they're available)
2/3 cup olive oil (nice, green and fruity)
1 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, freshly grated
salt and pepper
Lemon zest from one lemon
1 cup of fresh basil leaves

Heat a generous amount of water, season like the sea with kosher salt. When the water is boiling vigorously, add the pasta.
While the pasta cooks, hand tear the basil leaves into a small bowl and add the lemon zest to the basil. Drain the spaghetti once it's cooked to your liking and return it to the warm cooking pot. Whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice until it's lightly emulsified. Whisk in the parmiggiano - it will become somewhat creamy. Season with salt and lots of freshly ground pepper and toss with the pasta until all the pasta is coated. Add the basil and lemon zest, toss well and adjust seasoning if needed. . at this point you might want to add a small pinch of red pepper flake - this is how I like it but the person who taught me how to make this says it "compromises" the integrity of the dish. I won't tell if you don't! :) Also remarkably good with this pasta is roasted prawns added as a condiment.

Simple and utterly delicious!

No comments: